What is A-Sync?
Asynchronous (or async) work is a term used to describe a working style in which tasks, communication, and processes are not time-bound linearly. Async work focuses on goals, activity, and contribution rather than presence.
The A-Sync vision
- Individuals can maximize their productivity without waiting for others to complete tasks.
- Asynchronous work relies more heavily on documentation and transparency.
- Asynchronous work puts more trust in employees and their ability to perform.
What tools and resources are needed?
- Collaborative working platforms With an adjustment of attitudes, expectations, and default settings, Gather, Discord, Notion, etc. All can be used asynchronously instead of real-time daily huddles or team meetings to connect and keep everyone on the same page.
- Effective management Async working requires project management that is well-structured, clear, and emotionally intelligent. The aim should be to maintain workflow and productivity without interference and micromanagement.
- Clear objectives and work streams Good project management is essential in asynchronous working. Managers and team members must follow good practices in setting objectives, monitoring and documenting progress, and flagging issues.
What "all-async" does not mean?
- Working-life boundaries The open-ended nature of asynchronous working can blur the lines between work and private life; at Novu we encourage and fully accept working-life balance.
- Disconnection Working async doesn’t mean you’re lonely and disconnected from your colleagues and organization. We support a personal proactive approach to engage with your colleagues in many ways, for example, the “Coffee” channel on Discord, attending the happy hours, or scheduling in-person meetings for work or pleasure (in case you live nearby).
- No discipline As we are on Novu, we grant greater flexibility, autonomy, improved working-life balance, and complete trust in our employees. We expectdiscipline and transparency in exchange for those benefits.