Separating data between development and production environments is an important practice that can help to ensure that your applications and systems are stable and secure. In this guide, we will cover the basics of data separation and provide some best practices for implementing this practice in your projects.
There are a few different ways that data separation is implemented:
- Using separate databases: Separate databases are used for development and production environments. This ensures that the data used in each environment is completely isolated from the other, which can help to prevent data corruption and other issues.
- Using separate AWS Regions: Data is separated based on two different regions with totally different sets of terraform deployments
- eu-central-1 - used for development environment
- us-east-1 - used in isolated production environment
- Test environments are totally ephemral environments that populate random fake data for testing purposes locally on the test machine.